Pages

Thursday, August 26, 2010

(Lolli)Pop Psychology

My sister and I had a conversation this morning about color.  Certain female members of our family are known to get fixated on a color or two, and then completely drench their homes with it. Which is not intrinsically a bad thing - I mean, it's your house - color it how you want it! I think she and I were just commenting on how color variety, especially around a home, can also be quite nice.  The conversation made me start thinking about the colors that I love and am known to associate with.  I've lately become widely affiliated with orange, which is funny since it had been a color I really despised (especially while I was in high school, where our colors were orange and brown - two of my favorite colors now).  The psychology of colors has always been intriguing to me, so I decided to revisit the concept in search of some answers about what my favorite colors say about me, or at least how they are purported to make me feel.

[image source]


ORANGE: According to the website Suite 101, orange is associated with warmth, enthusiasm, and exuberance. It’s a lively color, associated with Halloween and Thanksgiving. Orange isn’t as intense as red because it’s blended with the cheeriness of yellow.

Orange has been touted as one of America’s least favorite colors, perhaps because it’s been associated with arrogance, danger, and overemotion. Orange is used to draw attention – such as the caution signal on a traffic light.

BLUE:  Blue is associated with spirituality, thought, and melancholy. It’s also connected to calmness, cleanliness, and wisdom. When you feel blue or “have the blues”, you’re usually a little sad for the moment – but the blues are fleeting. This color is thought to be an appetite suppressant, because blue isn’t a natural color for fruit, vegetables, or meat (even blueberries are more purple than blue).
Blue colors have the opposite effect of red colors. That is, blue causes a decrease in breathing, heart rate, and blood pressure. It’s a subduing, cool color that can appear peaceful, but may also seem sad.
(Also from Suite 101)

BROWN: The website Squidoo offers this information about brown:
 It is a natural color that evokes a sense of strength and reliability. Brown can also create feelings of sadness and isolation.  Brown brings to mind feeling of warmth, comfort, and security. It is often described as natural, down-to-earth, and conventional, but brown can also be sophisticated.

So, I can take from this that I'm an attention-seeking, melancholy person who tends to feel isolated, but craves warmth, comfort, and security. Yup! That just about says it all!

No comments: