Pages

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Facebook: Quod Me Nutrit, Me Destruit

 

You know that lovely saying, "Don't hate the player, hate the game"? Well, that's my current relationship with facebook. I certainly don't hate the players. They are people I really care about and love. But facebook itself started messing with my head. An author that I really admire, Byron Katie, talks about the problems we cause for ourselves when we ignore our own business to purchase headspace in other peoples' lives. And that's what I've been up to, thanks to that mastermind of incognito voyeurism, the stalker page. I found myself doing things and taking pictures for the express purpose of putting them on facebook. True silliness. And worse yet, I began measuring my life against the lives of others. I began looking at other people's children and other people's vacations and thinking that my life didn't stack up. If that's not ingratitude, I don't know what is. I've been so abundantly blessed; I have zero right to compare my life to those of others. And I don't like myself as a voyeur. So while I want to keep my facebook account so that I can keep in touch with people that I wouldn't necessarily be able to stay connected with otherwise, I no longer check my page daily. I don't even check it on a weekly basis. And, really, it feels good.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Leslie said...

If there was a "Like" button on Blogger, I'd hit it for this. :) I get on probably daily, but I check for any notificaitons/messages, MAYBE scan through my newsreel, and get out. I found that stalking other people on their pages never makes me feel good about me and my life and that's just SILLY because my life (and me) is GREAT!!! :) Love!